Wednesday 22 October 2014

Storytelling, Engaging The Consumer

Hey guys so todays post has been inspired by the theme set by a free short Digital Marketing course I've signed up for offered by Southampton. I've decided to look at recent advertising campaigns using story telling to engage consumers and kind of pick apart how I think they work, and if they didn't, why?


L'Invitation Au Voyage 

I'm sure we all remember the ad campaign by Louis Vuitton at the beginning of the year, for those who don't or just want to watch it again. 


Part I


Part II

So here we see a very powerful use of story telling, with an engaging progression of events, and a very interactive element as at the time of the videos the Louis Vuitton's website was set out with particular pages to watch the videos themed on there locations. It had background sound effect of those at a masquerade ball, there were characters and stories.
I feel this was a very successful use of story telling to engage the consumer it wasn't about advertising the brand it was a story twisted within a marketing campaign. This to me is much more effective especially for a luxury brand where the 'buy from us' advertising campaign is simple not an option. The drama and draw the of the videos also draws me in and makes me want to find out more, and therefore leads me either to the Louis Vuitton website or into a Louis Vuitton store hence achieving part of its goal.
The second part of the story leaves wondering is the more, is there a third section? How successful do you believe these short films are in engaging us as consumers, and customers? Do you think storytelling is the right platform for luxury brand to advertise itself to
potential customers

L'Odyssée De Cartier 

So again I'm going to another example that's not the most recent but one I feel like is a strong example of how story telling has been used and continued by a brand but with a different cinematic style. 



I really loved this video, I thought it was powerful and really captured the history of Cartier, it also created a very visual and theatric story, with a quite powerful atmosphere. It feels like story is taken straight from the pages of Percy Jackson, or the walls of a Roman mosaic. Its is a visual illustration of the international presence and story of Cartier the brand, where the Great Wall is an ancient dragon, and a beautiful palace of animals and amazing garden made of rare gems and precious metals - the consumer is drawn into a fantasy realm, a fictional adventure about a real brand.

I believe that story telling is a great way of communicating with your consumers and that it is a tool perfect for luxury brands but available and well used by brands across all levels of the market. There are many examples that I would love to talk about but thought better to not ramble on for a millennia. How about you which examples of story telling do you think a brand has really effectively or maybe totally failed at using, please share and comment you opinions and ideas.


RNW 

The Fashion Dialogue  









No comments:

Post a Comment